Monday 15 April 2013

Happy Easter


Happy Easter!

Yes, I know I’m a little late...but if you knew me personally you would know that I’m a little late for everything! To the extent that during school when my best friends would invite me to sleepovers they  would tell me a time half an hour earlier than everyone else so that we would all arrive at around the same time!

Today I made these little beauties, because there can never be too much Nutella or too many mini eggs in one day!


The mixture makes twelve cupcakes.

Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
 
Put the 100g plain flour, 20g cocoa powder, 140g caster sugar, 1 ½ tsps baking powder, pinch of salt and 40g softened butter in a mixer and beat on slow speed or mix by hand until all ingredients are combined.

Pour 120ml milk into the mixture and beat well until all ingredients are well mixed.

Add 1 egg and beat well.

Spoon the mixture into paper cases around two thirds full and bake for 20 mins or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
 
Leave to cool, then turn out onto a wire rack.

When the cupcakes have cooled, cut a teaspoon sized hole in the top of each cupcake and fill with a spoonful of Nutella. Replace the top of the cake. 
 


Beat 250g icing sugar and 80g softened unsalted butter together by hand or using an electric whisk.

Once well mixed, turn the mixer down to a slow speed and slowly add 25ml milk.

Beat on a high speed for at least 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.

Stir in 80g Nutella by hand until evenly mixed.

Pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake and decorate with a mini egg.

Dust with a little icing sugar for that professional look!
 



Please forgive my poor excuse at icing – it was my first attempt using a piping bag and it is a heck of a lot trickier than I thought it would be!  I am a true supporter of the phrase ‘practice makes perfect’, so hopefully future baking attempts will showcase a more polished performance!

Until next time, K x

No comments:

Post a Comment