Friday 28 June 2013

Armed with rhubarb and custard


On Saturday I was lucky enough to take a trip with my boyfriend to visit Manchester. It was just a flying visit, as we went to see Robbie Williams and Olly Murs at the Etihad stadium, but we had some time during the day to explore the city centre and have a spot of lunch.

Since I was a wee nipper I have loved going for a daytrip, and there is still the same excitement about getting in the car and going on an adventure! When my boyfriend first learned to drive we spent lots of our days off going anywhere and everywhere within about an hours drive from our homes, but Manchester is somewhere I have never ventured to as it is quite a bit further than that!

Obligatory car sweets purchased, we headed off and arrived just in time for lunch.

 

Who doesn't love a proper vintage rhubarb and custard?!
Have I mentioned that my other half is a wannabe Jamie Oliver in the making? He lives, breathes and is happiest when cooking. Our kitchen is a bit of a Jamie Oliver shrine, and he can’t pass up any opportunity to spend some time being near to his idol (I can’t judge, as I am exactly the same with Cath Kidston!). It just so happened that we were wondering up a quiet street and we came across the Jamie restaurant quite by accident....or was it pre-planned...hmmm.


We had to wait about half an hour for a table but we were quite happy sipping cocktails in the beautiful bar area. This is the second Jamie restaurant we have visited (Edinburgh being the other one), and I just LOVE how he keeps the original features and purpose of the building intact, it adds to a wonderful character. This Italian is within a former bank – and you can even hire a table in the underground vaults of the building!
 
Inside the open vaults were tiny tea-lights. So adorable!
 
We both had a burger – the menu described it as

“Prime British chuck & flank

steak with smoked mozzarella,

mortadella, sticky balsamic

onions, tomato, pickles

& chillies”

Don’t ask me what mortadella is. The only thing I know is that it was DELICIOUS.
 


After lunch we wondered around Piccadilly Gardens and towards the Arndale centre. I wanted to go inside SO. BADLY. We saw this brilliant street performer...
 
...and this wonderful sign outside a truly vintage-looking jewellers. That’s a little disclaimer underneath saying that actually rings aren’t sold this way anymore.



Here’s the best picture of the night, it was a wonderful experience!


Hopefully I'll get to visit Manchester again soon!
Until next time,

K x

1 comment: