Tuesday 21 May 2013

Paint pot plant pot

I have recently developed a bit of an obsession with gardening. Well, maybe not gardening...perhaps potting would be a more accurate statement! Part of me wants instant gratification – beautiful flowers straight away, and the other part of me loves the excitement of tiny seedlings appearing and getting bigger everyday. There is definitely more satisfaction gained from growing from a seed, but I am quite impatient so I need to see some results in my garden immediately!

For my birthday I was given this cute wooden watering can sign from my sister (it’s from Matalan if it tempts you too!) and it now hangs proudly beside my back door. Ok, ok I don’t have a garden as such...more of a yard. But the plan is that it will be a space crammed full of a higgledy piggledy pots of all shapes and sizes and be an interesting...yard. 
 
Today as I was walking down the high street with the other half on the way to feed the ducks I spotted a lavender plant for sale at the greengrocer. After some eyelash fluttering I was given the nod and a sigh by the other half and it swiftly became mine. I love it because it looks nothing like traditional lavender, but still smells as sweet and summery!

 
After a dig around the ‘man shed’ I found an old pot of Laura Ashley paint which had been left by the people who lived here before us. After a quick wash I knew it would make the perfect plant pot! The other half bashed a nail through the bottom of the tin a few times to make some drainage holes and then...ta dah!





 
I’m not sure how long it will last as the wrapper is just made of paper. After a dose of the English summer rain it will disintegrate no doubt, but for now it looks pretty and makes me happy!

 
Hope this has given you some inspiration - I love quirky plant pots!

If you like my new look, why not follow me?

 

Until next time, K x

6 comments:

  1. I would never have thought to do this - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous and it will smell great! X

    http://hipslikecinders.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! So far it has survived the rain...I'm keeping my fingers crossed! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wouldn't look so good with a tin of bargain basement white emulsion I guess, but it looks great with the Laura Ashley tin :)

    Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks great in a paint pot, will definatley be a talking point in the garden :) I find it a bit tricky to keep plants alive in small pots, I have better luck putting them in the ground but thats just because Im a black thumb :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surviving surprisingly OK in the garden so far - the colour on the label has faded a little so it looks a little closer to white rather than lavender colour it was originally...but I still like the vintage nature of it! I think gardening is more about luck than care...or it has been for me!
      K x

      Delete