Thursday 16 May 2013

Upcycled photo frame


Whilst I was obsessively pinning my perfect life on Pinterest the other day (how many of my blog posts could start that way?!) I saw some tutorials on how to update photo frames. Living on a tight budget means that my first option is always recycling something before replacing it, and frames are no exception! I found this bright gold coloured one during a charity shop spree a few months ago and it has been sitting around the house waiting for some inspiration to take hold of me to ‘fix’ it. This week it finally got the makeover it deserves!

I’m not going to write a tutorial – because seriously, they are EVERYWHERE and it is pretty easy once you get started. But I will show you the before and after pictures incase it inspires you to dig out any projects which you have stored up!




 
I gave the gold colour a little rough up with the sandpaper before painting so that the paint had something to stick to. I just used regular white emulsion and gave it two good coats before I got messy with the sandpaper to give it the lived-in beachy look that I was aiming for.

 
 
Ta dah! One beautiful shabby chic nautical inspired frame.

It helps that the weather ‘oop North’ has been glorious for the past week or so and I have been able to catch up with all of my forgotten projects outside. I won’t mention the perils of sunburning whilst outdoor crafting, let’s just all take a minute to take advice from THAT Baz Luhrman song!

(Oh, and in case you were wondering the picture is a painting of the Bass Rock near North Berwick, a proper vintage British seaside town not too far from Edinburgh).



 If you like my new look, why not follow me?

Until next time, K x

1 comment: